Our esthetician at Amethyst Wellness in Palm Coast, Fl offers Dermaplaning, a specialized treatment to help exfoliate and rejuvenate the skin.
What is it?
Dermaplaning is a physical exfoliation procedure which very carefully removes (shaves) the skin’s surface. It is done with the use of a surgical scalpel blade that strokes along the skins surface at a 45-degree angle. This manual procedure removes 2-3 weeks of dry, dead surface cells along with fine vellus hair aka “peach fuzz”. Removing vellus hair is beneficial since the fine hairs trap debris and oils that gives skin a dull look. Once dermaplaning is completed, you will find that your skin care products work much more effectively, are able to penetrate the skin deeper, and will allow makeup to go on smoother!
Recommended treatment regimen: Once a month
Is it painful?
Painless sensation which is typically described as mild scratching.
Who should avoid it?
- Those who are on Accutane must wait 6 months after completion of treatment to receive dermaplaning.
- Those who are suffering any type of active skin irritation or suffer from cystic acne.
How should I prepare for my appointment?
- Keep yourself well hydrated.
- Discontinue manual or chemical exfoliation 3-5 days prior to service.
- No sun exposure 5-7 days prior to service.
- Must wait 2 weeks after microneedling to schedule Botox or fillers.
- No facial waxing 1 week prior to service.
- Treatment cannot be done if you have open wounds or acne lesions.
During my visit what should I expect?
A typical Dermaplaning appointment lasts 45 minutes. Here’s what to expect:
- Consultation to discuss treatment
- Face will be cleansed
- Toner application
- Dermaplaning will begin
- Hydrating mask application
- Moisturizing lotion and sunscreen application
- Avoid sun exposure for 48-72 hours
- Wear sunscreen daily
- Discontinue use of exfoliating agents for one week
- Use a gentle cleanser
- Do not pick your skin