Aesthetic Specialists & Preventive Medicine Specialists located in Palm Coast, FL
Skin loses fullness throughout the aging process, leading to more visible wrinkles and sagging. Anti-aging Juvéderm fillers can help reverse these effects, restoring volume and smoothing skin. Amy Coopersmith, ARNP is pleased to offer Juvéderm cosmetic filler treatments at Amethyst Wellness in Palm Coast, Florida.
Juvéderm Q & A
What is Juvéderm?
Juvéderm is a family of injectable fillers made of hyaluronic acid that adds volume to your face without the need for surgery or downtime.
What areas does it treat?
Each Juvéderm formula is designed to either lift your cheeks, smooth lines surrounding your mouth, or plump your lips. Juvéderm Voluma®, for example, adds plumpness to the cheek area.
What is treatment like?
After discussing your medical history and treatment goals, your face will be analyzed. Depending on the treatment area, the injection process takes 15-60 minutes.
Is Juvéderm painful?
Juvéderm gels labeled “XC” contain the numbing aid lidocaine, which helps minimize discomfort. If you’re still concerned about pain, you can request ice or topical numbing ointment before your treatment.
When will results be noticeable?
Unlike other cosmetic treatments, Juvéderm fillers provide full results immediately. As soon as the injections are in place, the treatment area looks fuller.
Are there side effects?
Side effects from Juvéderm injections are rare but may include temporary bruising, discoloration, itching, firmness, redness, and swelling around the injection sites. The gel may also be visible as tiny bumps under your skin. When this occurs, the bumps tend to diminish over time. Any side effects tend to be mild or moderate and last up to 2-4 weeks.
Is there any aftercare?
After your treatment, you’ll likely be able to go straight back to your usual activities. To preserve the filler and stave off post-inflammatory pigment changes from the injections, protect your face from the sun with sunscreen or a wide-brimmed hat when you’re outdoors.
How long do results last?
Juvéderm results usually last 1-2 years, depending on the formula used. Some research shows that repeated hyaluronic acid filler injections may stimulate your skin to produce more collagen, leading to smoother skin. In other words, you may find that fewer injections are needed in the future.
How to decrease your chance of bruising from Botox and Fillers
The most common side effect of cosmetic injectables is bruising. Research shows that 19%-68% of patients will have bruising after injections. A bruise occurs when small blood vessels break, and the blood pools beneath the skin. Any time a needle comes into contact with the skin, a person can get a bruise. This can be unpredictable. You may have had similar procedures in the past and not experienced bruising, then all of a sudden develop a bruise after injection. Bruising may last 1-2 weeks, so it’s best to plan around important events.
Here’s how you can decrease your chance of bruising:
- One week prior to injections avoid the following medications/supplements: aspirin, NSAIDs (Ibuprofen, Aleve, Motrin etc.), St. John’s Wort, Vitamin E, Multivitamins, Krill Oil, Fish Oils, Flaxseed Oils, Omega-3, Gingko, Ginseng, Garlic and Glucosamine.
- Eat FRESH pineapple, as it contains bromelain, an enzyme that has been known to decrease bruising. You can also take bromelain supplements 500mg three time per day 2 weeks prior to injections. Pure Encapsulations is our recommended manufacturer of supplements: Order here
- Do not consume alcohol 2 days prior to your procedure.
Here is a list of things you can do after the procedure to minimize bruising:
- Continue Bromelain supplements 500mg three time per day for 3 days.
- Apply arnica gel five times a day to reduce swelling. • Use cold packs on injected area for the first eight hours.
- Avoid using medications/supplements listed above for two days.
- If your lips were injected, do not put pressure on them with a straw, water bottle etc. for one week.
- Don’t put any type of pressure on your face after injections (i.e. getting a massage) for 2 weeks.
- You can use makeup but wait 24 hours post injection to avoid any bacteria getting into your injection sites which can lead to infection.
Unfortunately, even with the above steps, there is no guarantee that you will not bruise. Fortunately, the bruises will heal, and you will be able to enjoy your results.
Amethyst Wellness is proud to be a platinum partner with Allergan, the maker of Botox and Juvederm.
Platinum status indicates our providers' level of training, education and experience with Allergan products.
Please contact the office for additional information on accepted insurances.